Importance Of Technology In Education
In Sanskrit. the word for education is “shiksha.” The meaning of “shiksha” is the sense of learning and acquiring knowledge.
The Meaning Of Education
Knowledge, learning, and information: the word “education” is used in the English language, and is derived from the Latin word “educatum” which means “teaching work.” Some great scholars have attributed its origin to “educare” which means “to raise.”
1. Narrow Meaning
This is the education given to the child in the school. The place, duration, curriculum, etc. of such education is fixed. In this sense, the person’s school life is their education. Mackenzie has written: “In a narrow sense, education refers to the conscious efforts made for the development and promotion of our powers.”
2. Broader Meaning
In this sense, education is a lifelong process by which a person develops their overall personality and their ability to adjust to their environment.
The Meaning Of Technology
The use of scientific inventions, rules, principles, and processes in different aspects of life comes under the use of technology. Many types of technologies exist, including educational technology. In other words, the application of scientific principles to different areas of life is called technology. Therefore, the meaning of technology is “the art of science.” Therefore, when scientific, orderly, and well-organized knowledge is used to do daily work, then it is given the name of technology. The word “technology” is usually associated with machines, but it is not necessary that machines should always be used.
The Meaning Of Educational Technology
When scientific, technical, and psychological principles and methods are properly used to make the teaching/learning process easy, simple, efficient, and effective, it comes under the umbrella of educational technology. As new discoveries are made, there is also a change in its meaning, definition, and form. Today, scientific and technological inventions have affected every aspect of human life. Education, teaching, and learning have also been greatly affected by them. In the field of education, as a result of the latest research, discoveries, and investigations, such techniques (i.e., skills) have been developed, which are helping in achieving all the objectives of education. These competencies and skills, which are especially based on science, are given the name of educational technology.
Features Of Educational Technology
- Educational technology affects both the science of education and the art of teaching.
- It fully reflects the influence of science and technology.
- The practical side of learning is given more importance in educational technology. Educational technology affects the student, teacher, administrator, and the entire school environment.
- It simplifies and empowers the teaching/learning process. Educational technology proves helpful in the spread of education, and is a continuously developing subject.
- It mainly emphasizes achieving the objectives of education. It is capable of bringing necessary changes in the learning situation to fulfill the educational objectives. It is related to cognitive, affective, and psychomotor objectives.
- As science progresses, so does the development of educational technology. The various rules and inventions of science are the basis of educational technology.
Functions Of Educational Technology And The Need For It
Just as there is a need in our life to use science and technology to get the maximum benefits in the least time, using less energy, in the same way educational technology is needed in the field of education. The need for educational technology in education is due to the following reasons:
- It gives positive emphasis to the development of the latest methods for effective education.
- Educational technology makes the teaching process scientific, objective, clear, simple, easy, interesting, and effective.
- Educational technology gives proper guidance to solve teaching problems.
- It provides proper guidance to make the teaching/learning process effective, such as setting teaching goals, examining the initial behavior of students, selecting and organizing appropriate curricula, appropriate teaching methods and strategies, and supporting materials.
- It offers effective means of communication between teachers and learners to engage in the exchange of ideas.
- It includes the use of all types of arts, methods, materials, skills, principles, and instruments of science, psychology, and technology.
- It can be used to arrange and control the learning conditions required to achieve educational technical objectives.
- Just as science and technology help us to do more work with less energy and effort in our daily life, in the same way educational technology controls the waste of energy and time in the teaching process.
- It also lays emphasis on the development of appropriate evaluation methods for measuring behavior change and for checking the results of the teaching process.
- After the evaluation process, by examining the final behavior of the students, emphasis is also given to providing the expected reinforcement and support required.