WEIDEN, Germany: German police said one man died and eight others were hospitalized in serious condition after consuming spiked drinks at a bar in Weiden, Bavaria.
The police told German news agency dpa that the man who died was 52 years old, and the hospitalized victims were between 33 and 52 years old.
Because of the ongoing investigation, police did not say what the group had been drinking, but they had ordered and shared one bottle of champagne.
When police arrived at the bar, they found people lying on the floor.
However, shortly after the bottle was ‘opened at the table’, all the guests – who are between age 33 and 52 – were experiencing extreme symptoms of poisoning by having ‘seizures and foaming at the mouth’.
There was a suspicion of negligent homicide, but there are no suspects at present, a police spokeswoman told public broadcaster Bayerischer Rundfunk.